Highland Trail inspired by Outlander Preview 2018
Brochure Type: Preview 2018 USA
No need to touch the stones of Craigh na Dun to go back in time on this Outlander-inspired trail through the Scottish Highlands. Trace the footsteps of Claire and Jamie to the ancestral home of Clan Fraser and visit Doune Castle, the setting for Clan Mackenzie's Castle Leoch, and the charming village of Fife that featured in several Outlander scenes.
- City tour in Edinburgh
- Orientation of Dundee, Inverness, Orkney Islands, Glasgow and Stirling
- See Ben Nevis, Loch Lomond and the Battlefield at Bannockburn
- View Inverness Castle and Eilean Donan Castle
- Visit the filming locations for Fort William, 18th century Cranesmuir,1940s Inverness and Wentworth Prison.
- Visit Edinburgh Castle, 18th green at St. Andrews, the Culloden Battlefield, John O'Groats, Skara Brae, Ullapool, Isle of Skye, Glencoe, Newtonmore, Stirling Castle, St. Mungo's Cathedral and Linlithgow Palace.
- 12 full breakfasts
- 5 dinners
- 1 lunch (Be My Guest)
- Audio Headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Daily breakfast and an average of 50% of evening meals
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with WiFi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Ferry to the Orkney Isles and return
- Ferry from Skye to Mallaig
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Hand-picked Insider Experiences
- Optional Experiences and free time
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- An expert Travel Director and separate Driver
- Tickets are included for the world-famous Tattoo during the Edinburgh Festival
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- VIP entry to many sights
Call (603) 524-2500 for more information or to book today! Mention code 13627491
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 12/31/2017
- 13 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Edinburgh||Arrive Edinburgh (3 Nights): Welcome to Edinburgh and the start of your highland trail to discover more about the Outlander series and the characters in it. This evening, meet your companions and Travel Director at a Welcome Reception, for a true Scottish welcome with local specialties.Welcome Reception|
Novotel City Centre
|Day 2||Edinburgh||Edinburgh Sightseeing: Today enjoy the main sights with a Local Specialist including a visit to Edinburgh Castle, followed by a special Outlander walking tour where you will discover more places mentioned in the story. During free time perhaps explore the Royal Mile and pop into The World's End - one of the taverns mentioned in the novel.Full Breakfast|
|Day 3||Edinburgh||Outlander Film Location Excursion: This morning visit Blackness Castle - filming location for the infamous Fort William prison in Season 1. Cross the River Forth to Culross which was the location for the fictional village of Cranesmuir. See Claire's herb garden and Geillis Duncan's home in the beautifully preserved 16th century town centre.Full Breakfast|
|Day 4||Dundee||Edinburgh - Falkland Village - St. Andrews - Dundee: Travel through the Kingdom of Fife, arriving in the village of Falkland, stand-in for 1940s Inverness where Claire's story begins. Stop at the Covenanter Hotel which was Mrs Baird's B&B in the series. Continue to the historic town of St. Andrews the home of golf and Scotland's oldest university. Later arrive in the city of Dundee for an overnight stay and see the Tay Rail Bridge and RRS Discovery, Robert Falcon Scott's Antarctic exploration vessel.Full Breakfast|
Apex City Quay
|Day 5||Inverness||Dundee - Castle Fraser - Inverness: Today visit Castle Fraser, an atmospheric baronial castle dating back to the 15th century and ancestral home of the Fraser family. Explore the gardens and enjoy panoramic views from the round tower. Arrive later in the capital of the Highlands, Inverness.Full Breakfast|
|Day 6||Thurso||Inverness - Culloden - Thurso (2 Nights): This morning visit the poignant site of the Battle of Culloden where Bonnie Prince Charlie's Highlander army was defeated. The modern Visitor Centre brings to life what happened on the 16 April 1746 and how this brief 30-minute battle impacted Scottish history. Significantly this is also the event in Outlander which forces Claire and Jamie to say their goodbyes. Later consider taking a cruise along Loch Ness before making your way through scenic countryside to the most northerly town in mainland Scotland, Thurso. Enjoy dinner tonight at your hotel.Full Breakfast, Dinner|
|Day 7||Thurso||Orkney Islands Excursion: At John O'Groats, take the ferry across the Pentland Firth to the Orkney Island of South Ronaldsay. Orkney is home to the legend of the mythological creature the Scottish Selkie. This seal sheds its skin to walk on land disguised as a human and forms part of an important folk tale explained in Outlander. Stop in Skara Brae and look down the remains of this famous Neolithic village. Wander freely round the standing stones of Ring of Brodgar, before a final photo stop at Kirkwall cathedral and the ferry back to the mainland. Dine tonight at your hotel.Full Breakfast, Dinner|
|Day 8||Isle of Skye||Thurso - Ullapool - Isle of Skye: Visit the quaint fishing town of Ullapool and see the herring port designed by Thomas Telford. Travel through lochs and glens and stop to view the impressive Eilean Donan Castle before crossing to the picturesque Isle of Skye. Hear tales of Flora MacDonald who was a Jacobite heroine and played a part in the escape of Bonnie Prince Charlie 'over the sea to Skye'. Dine tonight at your hotel.Full Breakfast, Dinner|
|Day 9||Ballachulish||Isle of Skye - Ballachulish (2 Nights): Leave the picturesque Isle of Skye on a ferry to Mallaig. Travel to Fort William via the impressive Glenfinnan Viaduct. At Fort William see Ben Nevis which is Britain's highest mountain. Arrive in Ballachulish for a relaxing two night stay.Full Breakfast|
|Day 10||Ballachulish||Highland Folk Museum Excursion: Travel back in time with a visit to the Highland Folk Museum that was used as a film location during "Rent" the fifth episode of Season 1. Enjoy a Cultural Insight into Highland rural culture since the 18th century when you view the extensive collection of artefacts. Dine tonight at your hotel.Full Breakfast, Dinner|
|Day 11||Glasgow||Ballachulish - Glencoe - Doune Castle - Stirling Castle - Bannockburn - Glasgow (2 Nights): Travel through the breathtaking 'Glen of the Weeping' at Glencoe. Visit Doune Castle, the spectacular 14th century courtyard castle was the film location for Castle Leoch in the TV series. It was here that Claire was hosted by the Mackenzie Clan when she arrived in Scotland in 1743. Visit Stirling Castle which is a symbol of Scottish national pride. See the 'Stirling Heads' and visit the halls, chapels and bedrooms of this imposing castle. From the castle walls view the Wallace Monument - dedicated to Sir William Wallace and overlooking the battlefield of Stirling Bridge depicted in the 1995 film Braveheart. View the site of the Battle of Bannockburn before arriving in Glasgow.Full Breakfast|
Holiday Inn Theatreland
|Day 12||Glasgow||Glasgow Orientation - Linlithgow Palace Excursion: This morning your orientation of Glasgow includes the magnificent St. Mungo's Cathedral film location in the second season for L'Hopital des Anges, the Parisian Hospital Claire volunteers at and puts her medicine knowledge to use. Then visit Linlithgow Palace, the stand in for the prison entrance and corridors of Wentworth Prison where Jamie was imprisoned in season 1. Later experience a memorable Be My Guest Farewell Lunch on a working Scottish farm.Full Breakfast, Be My Guest Dining|
|Day 13||Depart Glasgow||Depart Glasgow: Say a fond farewell to bonnie Scotland as your Highland Trail inspired by Outlander draws to a close. Transfers are available. Conditions apply.Full Breakfast|
- Hotels in the Scottish Highlands and on the Isle of Skye are generally simpler establishments typical of the region. In July and August, accommodation on the Isle of Skye may be substituted with accommodation on the mainland. All sightseeing will remain the same as per the itinerary.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class