South America Landscapes with Easter Island
Brochure Type: Latin America 2022
Be mesmerized as you unearth the mysterious magic of Easter Island's famous Moai statues and learn about the Rapa Nui people. You'll gain a deep appreciation for South America's snowcapped volcanoes and chardonnay vineyards, vibrant culture and pulsating cities of Buenos Aires and Rio as you journey on this South America tour.
- Discover how locals prepare for Rio de Janeiro's Carnival week
- Explore Santiago, Puerto Varas, San Carlos de Bariloche, Nahuel Huapi National Park, Buenos Aires, Iguassu Falls and Rio de Janeiro with a Local Specialist
- Visit the Christ the Redeemer statue, Chile's wine country, Sugarloaf Mountain and Corcovado
- View Petrohue River, Devil's Throat Falls
- Scenic Cruise in Chile's Lake Region and on Lake Nahuel Huapi in Argentina
- Connect with Locals Visit a winery in Chile's Casablanca valley and meet the winemakers for a personalised experience including a tasting.
- Connect with Locals Dine at the home of a local family in the bohemian neighbourhood of Palermo Soho with its European-style homes and hip attitude.
- Dive into Culture Enjoy a traditional Brazilian BBQ restaurant this evening and learn how to mix the perfect caipirinha.
- Dive into Culture Experience the beauty of the Tango and learn about its traditions.
- Dive Into Culture Visit a Samba school to see and experience this symbol of Brazil.
- Dive Into Culture Learn about Bariloche's chocolate heritage with a visit to La Chocolaterie Van Wynsberghe and sample locally made chocolates.
- 1 Be My Guest
- 1 Farewell Dinner
- 1 Regional Dinner
- 1 Welcome Reception
- 15 Breakfasts
- 2 Dinners
- 3 Lunches
- A Trafalgar bonus all Intra-Air Flights: Santiago to Puerto Montt, Bariloche to Buenos Aires, Buenos Aires to Iguassu Falls and Iguassu Falls to Rio de Janeiro, including porter service at all airports
- All hotel tips, charges and local taxes
- All porterage and restaurant gratuities
- An expert Travel Director and professional Driver
- Audio headsets for flexible sightseeing
- Breakfast daily and up to half of your evening meals
- Cherry-picked hotels, all tried and trusted
- Luxury air-conditioned coach with Wi-Fi in most countries or alternative transportation (such as rail journeys)
- Must-see sightseeing and surprise extras
- Optional Experiences and free time
Call (603) 524-2500 for more information or to book today! Mention code 16627935
- Tour Operator
- Trafalgar Tours
- Offer valid through 9/30/2022
- 16 Days
- Escorted - Yes
|Day 1||Easter Island||Arrive Easter Island: Connect with the legend and lore of one of the world's most remote and remarkable islands, delving into the ancient culture of the Rapa Nui who once prospered on this land. Our first stop on this mystical adventure is Ahu Akivi, where we'll enjoy a private guided excursion with our Local Specialist to view its seven Moai statues, facing the ocean. Learn about their astronomically precise location and how they were placed there to use their mana to protect the inhabitants of the nearby village. Continue to ancient Ahu Hanga Poukura to see the tumbled Moai statues that stand as a testament to ancient battles. Then, visit the Puna Pau quarry with its red scoria stone.|
|Day 2||The Maoi of Easter Island||The Maoi of Easter Island: Embark on a privately guided excursion with our Local Specialist to the southern coast and witness the perfectly preserved ceremonial Ahu Vaihu in the bay of Hanga Te'e. Set out with your boxed picnic lunch and proceed to Rano Raraku, a quarry of almost 900 stone statues - 397 of them still located at the slopes of the Rano Kau volcano. Visit Ahu Tongariki, the largest ahu on the island, then continue to the eastern coast and visit Ahu Te Pito Kura with its Paro Maoi, the largest maoi statue ever erected. Afterward, visit scenic Anakena beach, where the king first set foot on the island.|
|Day 3||On the Slopes of Rano Kau||On the Slopes of Rano Kau: Journey to the UNESCO-listed Rapa Nui National Park. Join a private excursion with our Local Specialist up the extinct Rano Kau volcano. Admire views of the island from its slopes, then drive to the village of Orongo, where you'll view petroglyphs revealing the local culture. Later, catch a glimpse the three islets of Motu Nui, Motu Iti and Motu Kao Kao on the opposite coast. Then it's on to Ahu Vinapu for further evidence of the pre-Incan architectural influence. Our final stop is at the Ana Kai Tangata to view the ornate cave paintings from its mouth. Return to your hotel this afternoon before being transferred to the airport for your flight to Santiago (flight not included in holiday price).|
|Day 4||Santiago||Explore Vibrant Santiago: Connect with the cosmopolitan verve of the Chilean capital, Santiago. Spend the day on your terms discovering the unique personalities of each of the city's diverse barrios. This evening, join your Travel Director and fellow travel companions for a Welcome Reception.|
|Day 5||Santiago||Journey to Santiago: This morning's city tour with a Local Specialist includes a stop at the ornate wrought-iron Central Market where we'll see the catch of the day and stroll past pop-up restaurants serving local favourites. We journey to wine country, visiting an exclusive winery in Casablanca Valley for a gourmet lunch served alfresco in exquisite surrounds. Connect With Locals and meet the winemakers for a personalised winery experience, followed by an opportunity to taste the fruit of his labours. Spend the rest of the evening at leisure.|
|Day 6||Puerto Varas||Onwards to Puerto Varas: We fly south to the coastal city of Puerto Montt, then continue to Puerto Varas for a tour of the 'City of Roses' with our Local Specialist against the backdrop of snow-capped volcanoes. Later, we make our way to our hotel on the shores of Lake Llanquihue where we'll enjoy the rest of the day at leisure and an included dinner.|
Cabana del Lago
|Day 7||Cross the Andes and Continue to Bariloche||Cross the Andes and Continue to Bariloche: Look forward to a day of pinch me moments as you cross the Andes via land and water. Our first stop sees us watch the burbling waters of the Petrohue River cascade over black volcanic rock. We'll cross Todos Los Santos Lake, keeping a keen eye out for giant Andean condors as the mighty Osorno Volcano with its white cap looms in the background. Admire the soul-stirring landscapes en route to Peulla where we'll enjoy lunch. Then, cross the border into Argentina and cruise the glacial waters of Lake Nahuel Huapi. We'll arrive in Bariloche this evening.|
|Day 8||Bariloche||Admire Bariloche: Soak up the sights and sounds of the 'Switzerland of South America' this morning, breathing in the fresh alpine air. We'll meet our Local Specialist and travel along the 'Circuito Chico' for spectacular views of forests, mountains and sparkling waters in Nahuel Huapi National Park. Visit the beach playground of Playa Bonita, soak up the scenery from the hilltop of St. Edward's Chapel on the Llao Llao Peninsula, and ride a chairlift to the top of Cerro Campanario for sweeping views of the high peaks of Catedral and Tronador. Dive Into Culture and indulge in the rich flavours of chocolate during a visit to La Chocolaterie Van Wynsberghe, then spend the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 9||Buenos Aires, the Paris of South America||Venture to Buenos Aires, the Paris of South America: Leaving spectacular Patagonian landscapes behind, we fly to the passionate Argentinian capital of Buenos Aires. This evening, we'll Connect With Locals, joining our Travel Director and fellow travellers for a Be My Guest experience dinner with a local family in Palermo Soho. Savour traditional flavours and homemade family dishes, then discover the secrets of kneading country bread. Our unforgettable local encounter continues as we watch family members engage in an elegant Tango performance.|
|Day 10||Explore Buenos Aires||Explore Buenos Aires: Immerse yourself in the seamless mix of European elegance meets Latin energy. We'll join a Local Specialist to see some of Buenos Aires' most notable sites, including the Plaza de Mayo and iconic pink Casa Rosada. View the fashionable neighbourhood of La Boca, admire the opulent facade of Teatro Colon and drive along the stately Avenida 9 de Julio to the elegant Recoleta cemetery, where Argentina's most famous sons and daughters have been laid to rest. We pay homage to the beloved former first lady of Argentina, Eva Peron, before enjoying an afternoon at leisure. This evening, we indulge in the delicious flavours of Argentine beef, the authentic tastes of world-renowned Argentinian beef. Dive Into Culture later, watching the sensual, stirring moves of a traditional Tango performance.|
|Day 11||Buenos Aires Your Way||Buenos Aires Your Way: Get a taste of life as a porteno this morning, embracing the energy of this passionate South American hub on your terms. Perhaps, admire the works of Degas, El Greco and Van Gogh at the Museum of Bellas Artes or stroll around the colourful stalls that line one of the local markets. Take to the countryside and consider spending the day at a traditional estancia (ranch) for the Fiesta Gaucha (festival of the cowboy), where you'll be entertained by a lively equestrian show and enjoy a traditional parrillada (barbecue) lunch.|
|Day 12||Discover Iguassu Falls||Discover Iguassu Falls: Journey to the thundering cascade of Iguassu Falls, where we'll meet our Local Specialist for a visit to the UNESCO-listed Iguassu National Park. Board an open-air ecological jungle train delving deep into its subtropical rainforest. Walk along the catwalk peering down into the swirling waters of Devil's Throat Falls. We'll cross the border into Brazil for an evening at leisure and dinner at our resort.|
Bourbon Cataratas Resort Iguassu Falls
|Day 13||Soak in the Brazilian Side of Iguassu Falls||Soak in the Brazilian Side of Iguassu Falls: Rediscover the 'Big Waters' and return to Iguassu National Park, where you'll join a Local Specialist who will guide your discovery of the Brazilian side of the falls. Walk through the rainforest at the base of the falls and peer at its majesty through the powerful spray. We enjoy an evening at leisure.|
|Day 14||Rio de Janeiro||Off to Rio de Janeiro: We bid farewell to the falls and fly to sultry Rio de Janeiro. You'll be transferred to your hotel overlooking the colourful Copacabana Beach.|
|Day 15||Enjoy Rio de Janeiro and Sugarloaf Mountain||Enjoy Rio de Janeiro and Sugarloaf Mountain: Begin your exploration of the cidade maravilhosa (marvellous city) with your Local Specialist, ascending Sugarloaf Mountain by cable car for astounding bay and city views. Then return to the city for a tour with our Local Specialist before spending the rest of the day at leisure.|
|Day 16||Uncover the Sights and Sounds of Rio de Janeiro||Uncover the Sights and Sounds of Rio de Janeiro: Board a classic cogwheel train for the journey to the summit of majestic Corcovado, site of the iconic Christ the Redeemer statue, one of the Seven Wonders of the World. We join our Local Specialist to explore more of the city's iconic sights. Later this afternoon, we'll Connect With Locals during a visit to a local Samba school where we'll gain insights into how the school prepares for the pageantry of Carnival week. View the colourful costumes and immerse yourself in the rhythms of Samba as you participate in a dance lesson. This evening, Dive Into Culture and experience the flavours of churrascaria linger at our Farewell Dinner. As our hosts demonstrate how to mix the perfect caipirinha, we toast to an epic South American journey. Saude!|
- Land and Intra Air prices include economy air and air-related charges for flights between Santiago-Puerto Montt, Bariloche-Buenos Aires, Cataratas del Iguazu and Foz do Iguacu-Rio de Janeiro and require purchase of round-trip air travel on LATAM between your gateway city and the itinerary's start and end gateway cities.
- These prices are correct at the time of the website going live, however are subject to confirmation at the time of booking.
- All tour information is correct at time of tours going live, however is subject to change, please confirm all details at time of booking.
- For full terms and conditions, please refer to our Conditions page.
- Hotel Class Key: D: Deluxe SF: Superior First Class F: First Class